Picture this: You’re on a first date. Everything couldn’t have gone better, you two have totally hit it off and the future is certainly looking bright! What can quickly ruin this moment of bliss, as well as potentially your entire life? How about this scary scenario: the server returns to inform you that your card has been declined…wait, what?! No, it’s not a simple matter of you just forgot to put money in the account beforehand. It’s fraud. A thief has stolen your debit card number and is having a charge party and draining your bank account faster than color is leaving your face! Not such a great first impression anymore, eh?
According to the consumer credit reporting agency Experian, credit card and debit card fraud is the most common form of identity theft. Experian’s Identity Theft Resource Center reported that it typically takes three months for the majority of people to find out they have been the victim of identity theft. Yikes! Can you imagine? By that time, your money could be long, long gone!
So, how do you protect your debit card against this, sadly, all too common threat? Luckily, there is a rather simple solution, detailed below in our latest short and sweet Choice Words blog!
If you’re already a member of Choice One Community Credit Union (and why wouldn’t you be?!), then you can easily download a handy mobile app called CardValet® for some extra debit card protection. Done and done!
Not a member of Choice One Credit Union in Wilkes-Barre? Well, if you live, work, worship, own a business or attend school in Luzerne, Lackawanna or Wyoming countries, then you can join quickly and easily today, and then take advantage of this awesome debit card protection.
CardValet® will enable you to proactively monitor and protect your debit card and prevent fraud. It can give you the peace of mind you need to enjoy living your life, not having to worry if your money is safe…
How exactly do I get it? Great question! CardValet® gives you more control over your debit card than ever before! Once you’ve downloaded the app (available on Apple and Android platforms) and entered the necessary information, you’re ready to go! With CardValet®, you can be rest assured your accounts (and the hard-earned dough within them) are safe and secure 24/7, 365 days a year. Getting set up is as easy as 1, 2, 3, GO!
- Download the CardValet® app from Google Play™ or the App StoreSM right to your mobile device.
- Customize alert preferences and use settings.
- Suspect fraud or dealing with a lost or stolen card? No worries, just turn your debit card “off” right from your smartphone, anytime, anywhere!
That’s what it is, so now, let’s delve in to just what else you can do with CardValet®
As we’ve indicated before, CardValet® is a great step forward in protecting yourself from ID theft & fraud. You can see and be alerted to suspicious card activity, track your spending, customize alerts, and most importantly as we mentioned above, turn your card “off” on the spot!
- Protect your debit card by setting alerts and controls based on your location. Prevent a thief in Buffalo, Seattle or even our beloved Wilkes-Barre/Scranton from using your debit card right then and there. The my location control can restrict your transactions to merchants located within a certain range of each cardholder’s location (using the phone and GPS). Going on vacation? Great, you can limit spending to your vacation destination as well!
- Set real-time usage alerts and controls. Establish spending limits to allow transactions up to a certain dollar amount and set to decline transactions that exceed those pre-set limits. This might even prevent you from overspending on vacation by splurging on that high-priced souvenir you don’t really need…#budgeting. It’s also a great way to control the use of cards you may have given your kids while they’re away at college. Ya know, just in case yours aren’t fiscally-responsible young adults quite yet. Transactions can even be monitored or controlled for specific merchant categories or specific transaction types, such as in-store, online or ATM. You can also restrict transactions based on merchant type, such as restaurants, gas, travel and more. The choice is yours!
- Review balances and transactions. Use CardValet® to check your account balance quickly and easily, so the example we launched with doesn’t ever come to pass…
- We can’t mention this benefit enough – because, well its totally awesome! Yes, you can quickly and easily turn your card “on and off” with the push of a button. When the card is “on,” transactions will be allowed according to your controls. When the card is turned “off,” no purchase or withdrawals are approved until the card is turned back on. Simple. Can’t find your card, just turn it off. If it turns up later in the day at the bottom of your beach bag (doesn’t it always?!) then simply turn it back on. That’s it!
It’s as easy as this to safeguard your card, track spending, and control and protect your accounts anytime, anywhere no matter where you go. Around the corner or across the globe, CardValet® puts the power, literally in your hands.
Sign up for CardValet® today and eliminate the panic and chaos of having to deal with a lost or stolen debit card ever again!
Not yet a member of Choice One? What are you waiting for? Click here to learn more about membership or download an application.
Enjoy our latest posting? There’s more where that came from! Check back every Wednesday for another round of our blog, and feel free to peruse through previous entries, as well as follow us on all social media platforms for even more exciting tidbits of information.