With millions of Americans out of work, many facing financial struggles are looking for a way to earn some extra cash. Side work doesn’t have to be something you hate. You can put some thought into what you really enjoy and try to turn that passion into some extra cash. Whether you’re faced with a reduction in salary and looking for a side gig to make up the lost income or are completely out of work, we have many ideas to help you earn some extra dough.
- Lawn Maintenance – Mowing lawns, planting and tending flower beds, minor landscaping jobs, and other lawn maintenance are all great ways to earn money right now and well into the fall. Spread the word on social media or print off flyers to distribute throughout your neighborhood. You can also put the word out to local nurseries in case they get inquiries and don’t provide these services. Most people hate to mow their lawns, weed, and do yard work, so don’t be surprised when your schedule fills up quickly. Best of all, you get to enjoy the healing powers of the great outdoors.
- Handy Services – Are you a handy man or woman? If so, there are so many services you can provide, from painting a room or power washing a structure to endless fixer-up projects and other chores. Get the word out on social media- handyman for hire!
- Attention car enthusiasts & mechanically inclined – Most people love to keep their vehicles shiny and new looking. Car washing and detailing is a great side job for car lovers. You can provide this service right in the comfort of your own driveway. If you’re great with car repair, you may want to hire yourself out as a “mobile mechanic.” Give others the convenience of having you make a car repair house call.
- Teach or Tutor – Opportunities are endless for teaching a skill. From instructing ESL students online to tutoring math or providing music or dance lessons, opportunities abound to parlay your skill into some extra cash. You can even teach sports lessons, such as mastering the perfect golf swing. Worried about social distancing? Provide your services online, via ZOOM, Skype, or whatever method best fits your needs.
- Shop, shop, and shop again – Providing a grocery or merchandise shopping and delivery service is a great way to increase your income. You can work through an already established service, such as Instacart, or build your own customer base through word of mouth. Put the word out to local grocery stores, drug stores, and other retailers, so they can act as sources of referral.
- Put your wheels to work – Deliver for Amazon through Amazon Flex. There’s good earnings potential with pretty flexible hours. You pick up packages from an Amazon facility or business and then deliver them. Don’t want to commit to something so formal? Hook up with local restaurants to deliver their orders. The tips are sure to be pretty generous.
- Harness the power of puppy love – Let’s face it, everyone loves their furry friends. If you are a pet lover, start a dog walking, dog training, or pet sitting service. You can start it yourself through word of mouth or register with a service, such as Rover. This is a fun way to supplement your income.
- Babysit – This good old-fashioned service is still a great moneymaker. All parents want to ensure their kids are in the best hands. With so many daycare and childcare centers still closed, and people focused on social distancing, the need for qualified babysitters is great. Word of mouth is an ideal way to secure some lucrative babysitting gigs.
- Get paid to complete online surveys – Yes, believe it or not, this is actually a thing. Sites like Swagbucks and Survey Junkie enable you to grab some extra dough taking surveys. Don’t expect to get rich doing this, but if you have a lot of free time this might be an option that appeals to you.
- Turn your trash into treasure – Decluttering your house may unearth a wealth of items that you can sell for some extra money. From that unused fitness equipment or electronics to clothing, books, children’s items, and more. eBay is a popular site for selling goods. You can even sell unused gift cards on Raise.
- Manage social media – Are you a whiz at social media. Many business owners aren’t. Use your talent with Facebook, Instagram, and other social media sites to help business owners keep in touch with customers and increase their sales. Start by soliciting those small business owners you already know.
We hope you find these tips for earning some extra income helpful. Remember, Choice One Community Credit Union is always here for you.